Looking back wistfully may not be a waste but looking back with regret is disastrous for the life ahead of you. When wistful, our thoughts go back to the pleasant memories of days gone by, the growing up years, the warmth and affection of loved ones, the lessons learned some perhaps in painful ways but each memory triggers a nostalgia tinged with sadness but filled with love. On the other hand, looking back with regret evokes a host of unpleasant, loathsome and burdensome thoughts each sending a stab of pain and anguish. We never seem to get over the ‘if only’ syndrome and add a garnishing of bad luck, stupid decision making and other peoples faults to make a pungent potion of an indigestible concoction which we refuse to spit out.
While the past cannot be changed we can certainly change our view of the past. Begin by taking stock of what you are blessed with today. It may be frugal, it may not be anywhere close to what we hoped to have but the fact is you still have it. Now focus on what you want to get. You can dream big no matter what your circumstances, for you are limited only by your dreams. So now you have a dream and a reality which outline for you your present and the future. The missing link is the past which has played a crucial role in helping you reach where you are. Now see the past as a bridge that allowed you to cross a chasm. You didn’t have much of a choice at that point unless you changed tracks to explore alternate routes. Having crossed the chasm the bridge is no longer there for you to reverse your steps so all that you can do is walk on.
Starting today, as you journey ahead, be aware that many of those unpleasant events of the past have actually nudged you in the right direction and enabled you to attain far more than you would ever have otherwise. Perhaps it was a failure that nudged you to pursue a different profession than what you had planned. In many cases we never had any plans and life was kind enough to lead you to where you are today. Starting today remember also that you have numerous choices ahead. Choose wisely for your choices today, will tomorrow become, the bridges you crossed yesterday. If you have a plan, a dream a goal you are better placed to make wiser choices. Youngsters reading this post be more aware that what you post on social networking sites could mar your career tomorrow for they reflect your personality, beliefs and attitude far more astutely than what you portray in an interview. If you have big dreams then think more clearly today about your values, your character and your convictions and let them come through in your choices.
- Outline 3 decisions of the past that you would have taken differently. How would each of that decision impact your present?
- Can you think of 3 incidents from the past which you hated/ regretted/ wished didn’t happen but latter realized that they actually benefited you in the long run. How did it benefit you?
- What will you do when faced with the following circumstances?
- You find a wallet with Rs.10,000 in it but no other papers or details of the owner of the wallet.
- You are driving out of a parking lot and you were distracted by a call on your mobile. Unfortunately you rammed into a parked Mercedes car. The damage to the other car is significant but fortunately for you there are no attendants around and you can drive away without being noticed.
- Your roommate is out of town and you borrowed his /her camera when going for a picnic. The camera slipped from your hands and has stopped functioning. There is no external damage marks on the camera.
- Your best friend at work has requested you to tell a lie to cover up for her /his unauthorized absence from work.
This post is courtesy www.actspot.com
You are also invited to visit our Inspirational and Motivational Blog