Physically, the human race is not blessed with a wishbone (a forked bone (the furcula) between the neck and breast of a bird. According to a popular custom, this bone from a cooked bird is broken by two people, with the holder of the longer portion being entitled to make a wish) but figuratively speaking we need to have a wishbone for more than one reason. To begin with, a fishbone would be the perfect blend between our potential and our goal realisation. Secondly, this imaginary bigger piece of the wish bone that we are all blessed with is our ability to think for ourselves, dream big and zoom in to our goals. Thirdly the wishbone would be the ideal prop that will provide us the motivation, the passion and the zeal to strive for better things in life.
A backbone is what helps us keep our torso erect, helps us maintain our posture and enables us to move around on two feet. The real test of the backbone is its ability to take on a load. Physical load is passé but it is the mental load, the strain and stress that pose the real challenge. Figuratively speaking a good backbone is a mix of the right attitude, self belief and daring. Only those with this kind of a backbone won’t shy away from a challenge, hard work or risk. With the right wishbone egging us on, a strong backbone is what helps one to attain ones goals and translate dreams into reality.
Along the way, life is often unpredictable, full of surprises occasionally harsh but definitely full of opportunities. Often opportunities masquerade as difficulties, hard work and fantasies. That is when a funny bone would come to the rescue. When one learns to laugh at one’s own follies, can see the joke being played on you by life and see beyond the sweat and tears with a smile on your face, that is when the funny bone becomes the oxygen that a breathless man gasps and revives. A funny bone also helps diffuse tensions, enables one to see situations from a different light hearted perspective and clears our mind by getting rid of worries and tensions.
Unlike the physical bones in your body that hold you up and gives your physical frame shape, it is just 3 imaginary figurative bones that actually gives meaning to your life.
- Can you think of 3 of your favorite jokes? Can you visualize yourself as a central character in any of the jokes?
- If you were to be granted 3 wishes, what three wishes would ask for and why?
- To prove that you have a real sturdy backbone, over the next few days try the following
- On day one watch the TV with earplugs so that you hear nothing but can see the visuals. Try it for at least 1 hour.
- On day two go to bed without dinner and sleep on the floor using just a bed sheet instead of a mattress.
- On day three, set a target for yourself to raise as funds to be donated for a cause. Go about raising those funds from strangers or by using challenging & innovative ways.
- On day four you have to buy 5 gifts, each not costing more than Rs.20 and surprise 5 people with those gifts.
Jot down your feelings and learning and share your experiences by writing in to [email protected]
This post is courtesy www.actspot.com
You are also invited to visit our Inspirational and Motivational Blog